Striking security guards to be rehired

Security officers uniting to get their jobs back at Kempton Park Civic Centre.

Security officers who were on strike at Kempton Park Civic Centre on Friday have reached an agreement with the new security company, Mabotwane Security Services, that they will all be hired.

This came after Zabalaza Security’s contract expired.

Strikers said Mabotwane Security Services was not willing to absorb them and as result many people were going to lose their jobs.

Some of the strikers told EXPRESS they had been working at the civic centre for over 10 years and could not afford to lose their jobs, especially at this time of the year.

Strikers complained that Mabotwane Security Services was ready to take away their jobs, as the agency had already placed new officers at the civic centre.

One striker, who asked not to be identified, said this would have been unfair to most people. “We are fighting, because some of us have been working here for 14 years, and we have had various security agencies that we worked under.

“So, why is Mabotwane Security Services unwilling to do the same?

“Another thing that made us really unhappy was that the company was already placing new security guards and made it so obvious that our jobs were been taken right in front of our eyes.”

Steve Chochi, national operations officer for Mabotwane Security Services, confirmed the company would absorb the strikers.

“We are the new security company that has taken over here. The problem was that we had already recruited our own officers and placed them on site last night,” Chochi said.

  AUTHOR
Tumi Riba
Journalist

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
Bible Society raises over R247 000 from Ride for Braille Bibles